FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

Here we answer all your Metropolitan policy and services related questions.

Complaints FAQ

What is a complainant?

A complainant is a person who submits a complaint, which includes:

  • Policyholders or the policyholders’ successor in title;
  • A beneficiary or the beneficiaries successor in title;
  • A person whose life is insured under a policy;
  • A person that pays a premium in respect of a policy;
  • Member or;
  • Potential policyholders or potential member whose dissatisfaction relates to the relevant application, approach, solicitation or advertising or marketing material.

Who has a direct interest in the agreement, policy or service to which the complaint relates, or a person acting on behalf of a person referred to in the list above.

Who can complain?

You can complain if you are dissatisfied with the following from Metropolitan:

  • We have failed to keep our end of an agreement, law, rule or code of conduct which binds us.
  • We have failed to take action or have caused personal harm, prejudice, distress or a substantial inconvenience.
  • We have treated you unfairly.

When it comes to lodging a complaint with us, the complainant can be anyone of the following:

  • A policy owner or the policy owner’s successor.
  • A beneficiary on the policy or the said beneficiary’s successor.
  • A person whose life is insured under the policy.
  • A person that pays a premium towards a policy with us.
  • A member of the Metropolitan Provident/Pension funds or a member of the Metropolitan Life Retirement Annuity Fund.
  • A potential policyholder or potential member whose dissatisfaction is related to a specific application, approach, solicitation, advertising or marketing material.

What is an escalated complaint?

An escalated complaint is an extension of a complaint relating to the outcome of the initial complaint. The complaint is so complex or unusual that it requires intervention by an impartial senior functionary appointed to deal with escalated complaints, or the resolution of the initial complaint is not to the complainant’s satisfaction and is then been referred to the appropriate Regulator or Ombudsman scheme by the complainant.

If you have a complaint that you feel should be escalated, you can access those details here.

Who can I escalate my complaint to?

If you are unhappy with our service, you can complain by following the process below:

  1. You can submit your complaint online here. The contact centre will then get in touch to let you know that your complaint has been received and has been assigned to someone. We aim to resolve your concerns in the shortest amount of time.
  2. If the assigned consultant cannot resolve your complaint or you are not satisfied with their feedback, you have the right to escalate your complaint. We have a Client Care division which solves complex or unusual complaints. You can get in touch with them by sending an email to the following email address: clientcare@metropolitan.co.za
  3. Once you have submitted a complaint with us and you are still not satisfied with the feedback on your complaint, you can contact the relevant Ombudsman using the details below:

Long Term Insurance Ombudsman
For all your long term insurance complaints.

Tel: 021 657 5000
Fax: 021 674 0951
Share call: 0860 103 236
E-mail: info@ombud.co.za
Postal address: Private Bag X45, Claremont, 7735

FAIS Ombudsman
For all complaints related to financial advice.

Fax: 012 348 3447
Share call: 0860 324 766 (0860 FAISOM)
E-mail: info@faisombud.co.za
Postal address: PO Box 74571, Lynwood Ridge, 0040

Pension Funds Adjudicator
For all complaints related to a Metropolitan Life Retirement Annuity,  Pension or Provident Fund.

Tel:  012 7484000
Fax:  0866937472
Email: enquiries@pfa.org.za
Postal address: P O Box 580, Menlyn, 0063

Call me back: